April 20, 2016 By Arch Kennedy
Without question, the answer is most definitely the quran. Time and time again, you will see islam apologists say both are equally violent in hopes of supporting multiculturalism and inclusion. But, the facts speak for themselves. Let’s analyze, shall we?
First of all, there is no violence to speak of in the New Testament, which is what Christians go by. Yes, in the Old Testament there is violence but you have to look at the type of violence we are talking about. I’ll get to that in a second. There are some 34,000 words devoted to violence in the Old Testament as opposed to 328,000 words in the quran, sira, and hadith. You must look at all three sources in islam. You cannot just go by the quran alone.
There are two big points that I want to make about this “violence” in both religions.
- The violence in the Bible is mostly historical and tribal as well as local in nature. The violence in the quran, sira, and hadith is “prescriptive”. This is a huge point!
- The violence that you see in the Bible is in the Old Testament. But then came the New Testament, where Jesus preached nothing but love and tolerance and “turning the other cheek”. So the Bible ENDS with love and tolerance, where it “supersedes” the teachings in the Old Testament. In the quran, however, any peaceful passages are “superseded” by the more violent verses at the end. The doctrine of the quran ENDS with instructions for subjugation or violence to the non-believers. That is the most important concept to grasp, and this is why we continue to see muslims around the world engaging in jihad up till this day. They are following the doctrine to a T!
Classical islamic scholars teach “abrogation”, since the quran is not in chronological order. So basically, all of the violent verses are later verses that take the place of the more peaceful ones early in the quran. In the beginning when mohammed was in Mecca, he was peaceful but only gained 150 followers. When he left and went to Medina, his power grew as he became violent and began his conquests. This is the part of the quran, sira, and hadith that are to be followed…the later verses. It was made quite evident that islam was to become the law of the land by any means necessary.
- “And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution [of Muslims] is worse than slaughter [of non-believers]…and fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah.”
- Kill, convert or subjugate Christians and Jews.
- “And Allah has made you heirs to their land
and their dwellings and their property”
Those are just a couple of verses on spreading islam through violence. There are many more and also plenty of “prescriptive” verses on treatment of women such as:
- The quran explicitly instructs
men to beat disobedient wives.
(Quran 4:34, Sahih Muslim 2127)
- Explicitly allows Muslim men to rape their female slaves, even those already married.
(Quran 4:24, 70:29-30, 23:5-6…)
Again, there many more verses exist on the treatment of women as “half a human being” and, we, of course, see this to this day in Middle East countries around the world, along with the violence to non-believers and apostates. So it is quite obvious just by turning on the morning news. Are you ever shocked to see an islamic terrorist bombing? But, you would be surprised to see 38 people beheaded by a group of Methodists shouting “Jesus is Great”, wouldn’t you?